2 Nisan 5780
March 27, 2020
Dear ICJA Family
It’s hard to believe, but it’s only two weeks since we transformed our program into an online format. I am so proud of our students who have adapted so well, and especially our teachers, who have redesigned their classes and learned the opportunities and limitations of technology so quickly! But there is still more to do and more to learn! In the meantime, you should watch our latest “Day in the Life” video – featuring 11th grader Zeke Zwelling, click here.
Today was the last day of the quarter, and grades are being recorded and should be released within the week. And today was the first Haggadah Workshop with our YU Torah MiTzion Kollel (Yaasher koach Rabbi Meyers!). But more importantly, today is Erev Shabbat (candle lighting is at 6:45 pm), and many of us are getting ready for another Shabbat at home and not in shul. Please make sure to transform this challenge into an opportunity – spend added time davening and studying the parsha; sing added zemirot and elevate the conversation around the Shabbat table. And before Shabbat, take a few moments and call people who may, unfortunately, be alone for Shabbat. (If you want, click here and watch my pre-Shabbat drasha for some more thoughts on this opportunity.)
Yesterday was supposed to have been “senior ditch day.” But it wasn’t, because why have a ditch day when there is nowhere to go? But then one of the seniors contacted me and asked if they could plan a day of chesed – volunteer at the Ark or one of the other agencies that need volunteers at this challenging time. Of course, I said “yes!” as long as the chesed would be safe (maintain social distancing, gloves, etc.). But more than that, I was so proud of that idea, and I hope it happens! To “ditch” for a mitzvah is a mitzvah!
Monday’s schedule is as follows:
Period 1: 9:30 – 10:10a.
Period 2: 10:15 – 10:55a.
Period 3: 11:00 – 11:40a.
Period 10: 1:00 -1:40p.
Period 11: 1:45 – 2:25p.
Period 12: 2:30 – 3:10p.
UPCOMING SPECIAL EVENTS
- • Freshmen Boys Town Hall Meeting with Rabbi Matanky. It’s an optional meeting, but I hope all of the boys can attend. 11:45 am -12:15 pm https://zoom.us/j/3819881616
- • Haggadah Workshop with Rabbi Yossi Katz – “The 10 Makkot” https://zoom.us/j/8304687007 – 12-12:15 pm
- • ICJA VIRTUAL DINNER, Monday at 8:00 pm – honoring Debbie and Dr. David Dobkin, Shelley Stopek, and the memory of ICJA alum Sammy Bernstein, z “l. To access the virtual Dinner – use the following link https://zoom.us/j/683772473
- • Haggadah Workshop with Rabbi Aaron Kraft – “Speak Your Story” https://zoom.us/j/557450905 – 12-12:15p
- • Israel Advocacy Club Meeting – 3:15 pm in Ms. Sennett’s room
- • Town Hall Meeting for Parents – 8:00 pm. I will discuss what is happening and what are our plans for the coming weeks. The meeting will be broadcast on zoom – https://zoom.us/j/554646080.
- • ICGC and ICJA alumnae Shiur with Mrs. Lynn Kraft: The Missing Piece – 8 pm
- • Haggadah Workshop with Rabbi Daniel Kanter – “What is Freedom?” https://zoom.us/j/3392118001 – 12-12:15p
- • SPECIAL NIGHT TOCHNIT! Watch this space to learn more about the fun virtual program. Prizes and more – 8:30 pm
- • Freshmen Girls Town Hall Meeting with Rabbi Matanky. It’s an optional meeting, but I hope all of the girls can attend. 11:45 am -12:15 pm
- • Haggadah Workshop with Rabbi Ari Zucker – “Asking the Wrong Questions” https://zoom.us/j/9613939112 – 12-12:15p
- • Haggadah Workshop with Rabbi Reuven Brand – “Einstein’s Seder” https://zoom.us/j/8304687007 – 12-12:15
May this Shabbat be meaningful, safe, and filled with inspiration!
Rabbi Leonard A. Matanky, Ph.D.