10 Iyar 5780
May 4, 2020
Dear ICJA Family:
Today began “National Teacher Appreciation Week,” and while the Academy Associates is taking the lead on extending our thanks to our staff (https://icjastg.wpengine.com/2020/05/teacher-appreciation/) at ICJA, EVERY week is Teacher Appreciation Week. Because at ICJA, we have a fantastic team of dedicated teachers who continue to serve the needs of our students with distinction despite any challenge we face!
As many of you have noted, I have used these daily updates not only to inform but also to express my gratitude to our families, students, and teachers. Just a small suggestion to parents and students – maybe this would be a good week to send a note of thanks to a teacher who has gone the “extra mile.” It would be very meaningful – and truly appreciated!
Summer School: A number of people have reached out asking if ICJA will have a summer school program. (This is especially important to some, because our students’ summer plans have had to change, and now everyone is looking for alternatives.) Last week, I shared with you an option for summer school via Yeshiva University that could also earn students college credit. Since then, we have continued looking for even more opportunities, and today I am pleased to share with you an option via the Lookstein Virtual Academy of Bar Ilan University (https://www.looksteinvirtual.org/). While this option does not offer college credits, it does have many excellent courses that can be used to fulfill our students’ elective requirements (for our policy about outside courses, please click here https://icjastg.wpengine.com/about-icja/student-expectations/additional-policies/). In addition, this year we are making an exception and will also accept Lookstein’s “The Emergence of Modern Israel” https://www.looksteinvirtual.org/casestudy/emergence-modern-israel/ to fulfill our required course of Modern Jewish History.
On the extra-curricular front, I am pleased to announce several new programs for our students:
1. Tuesday night, May 5th at 8p is Grandparents Night, an inter-generational program with world-renowned mentalist Eran – see below for the link.
2. Thursday night, May 7th at 8p Rabbi Stromer, has arranged a special boys’ program with David Prince. Boys’ Program David Prince
3. Friday, May 8th at noon, I will be meeting will all of the seniors to talk about end of the year plans.
4. Lag Ba’Omer, Tuesday, May 12th, we will be hosting an ICJA’s Got Talent video competition, see attached, more information to follow.
5. Monday, May 18th, our own Josh Pogonitz will be leading an online Mental Health Workshop, co-sponsored by ICJA and No Shame On U. See attached.
6. AND starting immediately, the ICJA Family Tefillah Challenge – see attached.
Tomorrow’s schedule is as follows:
Period 1: 9:30 – 10:10 a.m.
Period 5: 10:15 – 10:55 a.m.
Period 6: 11:00 – 11:40 a.m.
Period 7: 1:00 -1:40 p.m.
Period 8: 1:45 – 2:25 p.m.
Period 9: 2:30 – 3:10 p.m.
Stay Safe and Stay Inspired!
Rabbi Leonard A. Matanky, Ph.D.
UPCOMING DATES TO REMEMBER
May, 5th, 8 p.m. – Grandparents Night – CLICK HERE.
May 6th 3:15 pm. – Israel Advocacy Club Meeting in Ms. Sennett’s room
May 7th – 12 p.m. – Town Hall Meeting – 9th grade girls
May 7th, 8 p.m. – ICJA Boys’ Program (details to follow)
May 10th, 8 p.m. – ICGC Paint Night
NOW! Volunteer to tutor an elementary school student – ATT Tutor-A-Child Initiative – click here
Buy your ICJA Face Mask and support community chesed organizations – click here
Receive extra academic support via REACH – email: email@example.com
June -August YU SUMMER SCHOOL for High School Students – https://www.yu.edu/summer/hs