Ongoing Success of Online Learning Update March 26, 2020
1 Nisan 5780
March 26, 2020
Dear ICJA Family
Today was another successful day of learning and another day of challenges – as we all continue to cope with the “stay at home” orders. But what was inspiring was dropping into some of our classes today and watching not only how our teachers have adapted to distance learning, but also how they engaged students. Just two weeks into using zoom, teachers were using the whiteboard, sharing screens and videos, asking students to “raise” their hands (a zoom feature) and sending them to virtual breakout rooms for group projects.
AND in the midst of all of this, teachers are finalizing quarter grades, we are working on student schedules for next year, incoming students are being interviewed, college guidance is running seminars and new and exciting programs are being offered!
In fact, tomorrow our YU Torah MiTzion Kollel will begin to offer a series of brief Haggadah Workshops every day from 12:00-12:15 (parents are also invited to tune in). Here is the schedule and call in info:
- Friday March 27: Rabbi Yehuda Meyers – “Haggadah Highlights” https://zoom.us/j/9096696088
- Monday, March 30: Rabbi Yossi Katz – “The 10 Makkot” https://zoom.us/j/8304687007
- Tuesday, March 31: Rabbi Aaron Kraft – “Speak Your Story” https://zoom.us/j/557450905
- Wednesday, April 1: Rabbi Daniel Kanter – “What is Freedom?” https://zoom.us/j/3392118001
- Thursday, April 2: Rabbi Ari Zucker – “Asking the Wrong Questions” https://zoom.us/j/9613939112
- Friday, April 3: Rabbi Reuven Brand – “Einstein’s Seder” https://zoom.us/j/8304687007
On Thursday, our Student to Student Program is going virtual, as they “visit” Loyola Academy. On that note – we are VERY proud of this program and Mrs. Zeffren who was just awarded a JUF Day School Innovation Fund Grant! WOW!!!
Tomorrow’s schedule, Erev Shabbat Parshat Vayikra is as follows:
Period 4: 9:30 – 10:10a.
Period 5: 10:15 – 10:55a.
Period 6: 11:00 – 11:40a.
Period 7: 1:00 -1:40p.
Period 8: 1:45 – 2:25p.
Period 9: 2:30 – 3:10p.
Candle Lighting: 6:54p
Once again, here are the upcoming special events:
- Freshmen Boys Town Hall Meeting with Rabbi Matanky. It’s an optional meeting, but I hope all of the boys can attend. 11:45 am -12:15 pm
- ICJA VIRTUAL DINNER, Monday at 8:00 pm – honoring Debbie and Dr. David Dobkin, Shelley Stopek, and the memory of ICJA alum Sammy Bernstein, z “l. To access the virtual Dinner – use the following link https://zoom.us/j/683772473
- Israel Advocacy Club Meeting – 3:15 pm in Ms. Sennett’s room
- Town Hall Meeting for Parents – 8:00 pm. I will discuss what is happening and what are our plans for the coming weeks. The meeting will be broadcast on zoom – https://zoom.us/j/554646080 .
- SPECIAL NIGHT TOCHNIT! Watch this space to learn more about the fun virtual program. Prizes and more – 8:30pm
- Freshmen Girls Town Hall Meeting with Rabbi Matanky. It’s an optional meeting, but I hope all of the girls can attend. 11:45 am -12:15 pm
As always, we welcome your ideas and your feedback. Please stay in touch, stay safe and stay healthy!
Rabbi Leonard A. Matanky, Ph.D.