29 Adar 5780
March 25, 2020
Dear ICJA Family:
Tonight is Rosh Chodesh Nisan, and tomorrow we will recite Hallel. And the reason I mention this is because despite being socially distanced, it reminds us that life moves forward, and there is always time to celebrate and literally sing praises.
Which is the perfect description of what happened today in school. Not only did we have over 110 sections of classes meeting, but t 10:30 am, many of our classes paused to recite Tehillim together with Jews around the world. Then over lunch, we laughed along with ICJA alum Eli Lebowicz as he entertained our students, parents, grandparents, and alumni. For those who watched Eli’s performance live – I’m sure you had a good time. For those of you who missed it – here is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1K2eozQLOQ .
Tomorrow, because of Rosh Chodesh, please make sure to set aside a little more time for davening. Remember, there is a lot to add – Hallel and Musaf, and after the Shir Shel Yom, there is Borchi Nafshi to recite. I know I’m not the only one who will miss the special Rosh Chodesh treats and Dvar Torah from JOH – but please G-d, we’ll be back together soon, davening in the gym for Rosh Chodesh.
Tomorrow night there will be the first of several special college workshops for our Junior class and their parents. Mr. Robert Oliveri, Associate Dean of Admissions at the University of Maryland, will share his insights and answer questions you might have. This meeting is not a University of Maryland specific event. Rather he will offer general advice towards college planning. To join the workshop – here is the link https://zoom.us/j/2549105788
Tomorrow and Friday (the last day of the 3rd quarter!) the schedule will be the same:
Thursday & Friday
Period 4: 9:30 – 10:10a.
Period 5: 10:15 – 10:55a.
Period 6: 11:00 – 11:40a.
Period 7: 1:00 -1:40p.
Period 8: 1:45 – 2:25p.
Period 9: 2:30 – 3:10p.
And finally, next week we have a lot of special events (and even more in the planning stages):
- Freshmen Boys Town Hall Meeting with Rabbi Matanky. It’s an optional meeting, but I hope all of the boys can attend. 11:45 am -12:15 pm
- ICJA VIRTUAL DINNER, Monday at 8:00 pm – honoring Debbie and Dr. David Dobkin, Shelley Stopek, and the memory of ICJA alum Sammy Bernstein, z “l. To access the virtual Dinner – use the following link https://zoom.us/j/683772473
- Israel Advocacy Club Meeting – 3:15 pm in Ms. Sennett’s room
- Town Hall Meeting for Parents – 8:00 pm. I will discuss what is happening and what are our plans for the coming weeks. The meeting will be broadcast on zoom – https://zoom.us/j/554646080 .
- Freshmen Girls Town Hall Meeting with Rabbi Matanky. It’s an optional meeting, but I hope all of the girls can attend. 11:45 am -12:15 pm
I want to thank you everyone who has sent notes of encouragement during this unusual time. But please remember, I may get to write these notes and work with the great ICJA faculty and staff – but they are the ones who truly deserve our thanks!!
Rabbi Leonard A. Matanky, Ph.D.